Sam Taylor Johnston

Solving a problem in time


Sam Taylor Johnston
A photographer who presents the idea of time is Sam Taylor Johnson. She is an OBE English photographer and filmmaker. Johnson was born 4th March 1967 in Croydon. At the age of 16 she started at an arts college in Hastings. She was originally a sculptor, who developed into photography and then video. In 2009 she directed a film based on John Lennon, which was one of her first main successful movies. She is also well known for her other films such as, "Fifty Shade of Grey" and short film "Love me more".  Johnston has featured in many magazines and even some books.
She focussed on the still life side of time. She presented a time-lapse video of fruit as it decays over time. She made this by taking a series of regular photos, which shows how the grapes, pears and apple change over the time. I find this video quite disgusting in how mouldy the fruit get. To achieve this she would have had to take lots of photos over the period during the time it decays. I think this would have taken a long time as fruit like apple take a while to decay whole. I feel like I could test this out but use and eaten apple as this decays a lot fast which is visible by the human eye within minutes.
They change from looking fresh to becoming fluffy with mould. They then begin to decay and disappear.
She also presents movement by a single photo that freezes time by using a fast shutter speed. I like this photo because of how the shadow for the person doesn't look realistic compared to the persons position. I think this is just the way the light has been positioned to create the shadow because the shadow of the chair is not visible.
This photo does still confuse me because, Although I feel like the shadow of the subject is real. To me the shadow doesn't resemble the correct body shape of the person. I think to make this shadow the light would have been directly in- front of the person  

Comments