Ice gif experiment

Ice gif Experiment

I set up the camera to take an image every 30 seconds for an hour. I used squash to colour the ice to make them stand out better in the photo. I then put the photos into photoshop and decided the time between the photos was too long so I removed some of the frames. I then put the photos on a loop so it never stopped. I feel this is a good experiment using the ice. I think I could slow down the frames or make the giff go backwards so that the ice melts and then refreezes. I think I could set up a spot light above the bowl to create consistent lighting, or I could have done this during the day to use consistent lighting and prevent the gift from looking like it flashes. I also think if I took the photos in jpeg I would be able to use a lot more photos and show a smoother process to the ice melting. This experiment was inspired by the work of Sam Taylor Johnston as she captures the lengthy processes such as, a bowl of fruit decaying over a long period of time. This is probably my favourite technique and I would defiantly consider using this in another way as my final piece.  I would make sure the lighting is consistent so that there is no flicker effect produced by the light.

From this I learnt how the conditions need to be the exact same during the time it is set up and during  the process. This would have stopped the flicker of the light. Although, I am not sure why the light flickers as it wasn't turned off, I think maybe a shadow may have been casted as someone walked over. I also learnt how important the timing in-between each photo was as if the gap was long you miss too much of the process. Whereas, if the gap is short you get to many frames. I enjoyed this process the most out of all of the other processes and I would really consider using this as a final outcome.

Comments

  1. I would recommend slowing down the gif a little as I think its a bit too fast

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment